Go with your gut feeling
Make-up artist, finds for her, “the energy within” means listening to her gut feeling. Or you might call it your instincts or your intuition.
Whatever you call it, the more in tune you are with your body and mind, the more able you are to understand your needs.
Your gut feeling is your immediate understanding of something, to the extent that you don’t need to think it over or get someone else’s opinion. You just know how you feel about something, or what decision you need to make. It’s an amazing place to be!
It’s not easy to explain YOUR gut feeling to someone else, because it’s personal to you, and therefore only you know if you’re really in touch with it or not. So it’s a supreme act of trust in yourself.
This can be hard for some people, but ultimately, your gut instinct is the most trustworthy source of advice that you can use.
For most people, it’s a feeling of energy moving within your body, that’s telling you what is right or wrong about a situation.
Have you ever ignored your gut instinct at first, only to experience a nagging feeling that is intangible but so persistent, that you have to take note and listen to what your body and mind are telling you?
Your gut instinct is one of your best friends because it can save you from unhealthy relationships and situations by guiding you to what is really the best option for you.
To get in touch with it you need to be able to set aside certain circumstances and conscious or unconscious habits that can have a strong pull in the opposite direction. These are things like overthinking, the weight of expectation placed on you by others, being too outwardly focused, holding unconscious biases or prejudices, trauma, or your desire for something drowning out your instincts.
To get back in tune with your instincts try the following:
- Clear your mind. You can do this by slowing down the pace of your life to give you the time and space to recognise and process what is going on around you, what information you’re receiving, and how you feel as a result. It will provide you with perspective and clarity.
- You can also try yoga, mindfulness and meditation. By freeing up space in your mind, you are creating space for your intuition to flourish.
- Notice what is happening in your body. How do you feel and what sensations are moving through your body? Getting in touch with these sensation enables us to more accurately identify the emotions we’re experiencing and therefore what our true thoughts are on a subject. The more you practice this, the better you will get at knowing what different sensations mean to you. And that’s your gut instinct!
- Focus on yourself. Think about what you really need and what’s important to you. Build a picture using your sensations and feelings and really listen to what your body and mind are telling you.
- Think back to times when you know your gut instinct helped you to choose the right path. What feelings and sensations did you notice then? And how do these compare to what you’re feeling now?
Once you’ve gone through this process and know what your instincts are telling you, take action!
The more you listen, the more adept you’ll become.